Proxy (Guest) access is available in the student portal, DukeHub, and with this functionality students can grant parents (primarily for undergraduates), spouses (primarily for graduate and professional students), employers, or others' access to view certain elements of their record. It gives the students control over the student academic data they share.
Students are able to select what access a particular proxy may have (e.g., the proxy can see the student's bill, but may not see their grades).
Students can give different levels of access to different proxies.
They can access this functionality from their Dashboard/homepage by selecting the 'Grant Proxy Access' menu item in the left menu bar.
Items to note:
- The proxy will have view-only access to most items.
- A proxy cannot, for instance, register for the student.
- Neither the student nor the proxy can pay the student bill from within DukeHub.
- The link where the student bill can be paid is https://finance.duke.edu/bursar/payments
- Information regarding student health insurance can be found at https://students.duke.edu/wellness/studenthealth/insurance/
- The provision of access by the student to the proxy does not replace or change university policy about administrators having discussions with parents or other relations about the student. Current confidentiality and FERPA procedures should still be followed.
- Only the student can add, delete, or change the access given to a particular proxy. If a parent calls and requests access of an administrative unit, the response should be for the parent to ask the student.
- The students will be informed of their FERPA rights and the implications of giving certain kinds of access. Some managers have expressed concern that students may feel compelled to share information with parents, guardians, or spouses. We would like advisors and administrators to counsel students to be judicious in granting access and to communicate that this service is entirely optional.
Below is the list of the items to which students can grant access:
|Forms & Requests
|Student Medical Insurance
|Financial Aid Summary
|View Financial Aid